Powered by Blogger.

Black Pepper Tofu - PLENTY

Wednesday 4 March 2015

Cost: $4          Servings: Two large portions             Time: 20 minutes
All ye tofu nay-sayers say nay no more. I was like you too, until that is - I made tofu taste good. I mean I can't really take credit because it's not my recipe per se, but damn, was I ever wrong... 
This is a spicy asian take on tofu which has no shortage on flavour. When originally starting this blog, this is the type of food I had in mind: it's affordable, easy to make, quick, and delicious.
● 350g Extra Firm Tofu            ● Soy Sauce
● 3 Shallots                               ● 3 Cloves Garlic
● 2 tbsp Ground Ginger            ● 3 Red Hot Chilli Peppers
● Black Pepper
Fry the tofu in a pan with oil for about two minutes on each side or until golden brown
The original recipe calls to coat the tofu in flour - I did this to about 1/3 of the tofu (I'll be honest, I was hungry and lazy) and found that the floured ones were actually slightly charred and discoloured versus the non floured. After frying, put aside and let cool.
My recommendation: don't flour them before frying
Slice the peppers, shallots, and garlic. Grate the ginger. Then put everything into the pan with a bit of oil and fry for about a minute to soften up the vegetables.

add enough soy sauce to cover everything and let simmer while stirring for another three minutes to allow the flavours to mingle.
make sure to fully coat the tofu with all the sauce-y goodness and cook for another two minutes before serving.

This is delicious, and I recommend serving it with rice. 
Calories - 250  Carbohydrates  4g  Sugar - 0g  Fat - 16g  Protein - 26g 




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Labels

Pages